The Return of Word Count Wednesdays (16)



Word Count Wednesday is my way of sharing my weekly writing progress with you and holding myself accountable for not giving up.

And....I haven't done one of these since the summer. I'm sure you all recall that in July, I was trying to get back into the swing of things after getting sick in June and then rushing through Splash, which made me lose my train of thought and lose heart.

Since then, I haven't written much. I've been in a knot over what to do. What I've been working on is so much more ordinary/been-there-done-that than I originally thought. And an old NaNo project I started in 2007 started poking at me, reminding me it existed, asking to be shiny once more as it shared its new ideas with me. Plus, this old NaNo was familiar territory. It's FANTASY, glorious fantasy! What I've been working on is more contemporary, which I haven't read as much of, so it's more of a struggle, of a challenge.

And I've fallen head over heels in LOVE with this one agent. There are other agents I'd love to work with, of course, but this agent... I find more and more authors I love, and they're ALWAYS repped by her. She's brokered deals with publishing houses I would love to work with. She gets good publicity deals for her authors...and the covers! So much pretty!! And I KNOW I shouldn't even be thinking this far ahead, but the second idea feels more like something she'd go for than the first, so THAT has confused me.

In the end...I'm still confused. I still don't know. I asked a few people to look at a couple sample chapters of each and I still...just..don't know. But you know what? I have to do SOMETHING. I'm halfway through Codename: FIZZYPOP and like my characters and know where I'm going. This new project...I still don't fully know what I want out of it. It's still formulating. So maybe it is the stronger of the two...or maybe I'm biased because...it's FANTASY! And FIZZYPOP is not. But for now, I'm going to focus on FIZZYPOP and making it as interesting and fun as I can, and that's all I should be focusing on!

So...

While I did sign up for NaNo, I am NOT doing it the traditional way. For one thing, I'm continuing what I'm working on, not starting something new. That's always a big NaNo no-no. For another...I don't care about reaching 50k. That's not what I'm doing this for. Heck, I don't think FIZZYPOP has 50k left in it. I just want to get back into the swing of things and start writing again. If I can finish FIZZYPOP by the end of the month, I'll be happy. But you know what? If I only get another third of the way through it, I'll still be happy. Because I'll be writing again and further along than I was when I started. And that's what counts.

So without further ado, this week's "Word Count" for Super-Secret Project/Codename: FIZZYPOP:
(Why Fizzypop? IDEK...it sounds fun!)



This week: 1,025 words (We're doing this NaNo style in Nov!)
Total to Date: 146? pages (Must have it all typed soon so I can give you REAL data!)
Start Date: March 2, 2011


I still need to type up chapters 4-8 so I can have a real word count... Today's word count consists of what I wrote yesterday since I didn't wake up early enough to write anything yet today. Hopefully tonight if I'm not too tired after work...!



And if you're doing NaNo, please share your handle or add me! I'm so original that my name is--get this--abackwardsstory. -_- Okay, so maybe I'm not original, but at least it's easy to remember, right? RIGHT!?


That's how my week went! Do you have a WIP at the moment? What was your word count this week? To date? Let's support one another! This week, I hope you were as inspired as me!!!

Comments

  1. I'm kind of going the same route as you. I have a story I've been working on for about a year that I'm doing for NaNo, but for some silly reason I lost all my drafts and I'm starting from scratch again!
    Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm doing Nano for the first time this year :-) I did a camp nano as a sort of set-up/gear-up to see if I could do it and I did indeed reach 50k so I was pleased!

    Anyway, just thought I'd wish you luck and say that I have written 4015 words of mine so far, I kind of just took the inspiration and went with it :D

    Also, am going to buddy you on the site, mines sammie_star, just so you know :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY! getting back into writing mode is crucial, and how cute is the codename FIZZYPOP!?!?!?
    off to find you at nano!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yay! So glad to see this feature again. Good luck :D


    (FANTASY!!! eeeep!!)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to stop and comment! I appreciate it more than I can say. I try to respond to each one!