Review: THE CHILDE by C.A. Kunz


Title: THE CHILDE
Author: C.A. Kunz
Release Date: Out now (Feb. 18, 2011)
Publisher: Self-published
Received: Physical copy from authors for review.
DISCLAIMER: I know one of the authors from university, but this didn't impact my review in any way.

SUMMARY:

Cat Colvin
Average Teenager?
Or Something Else Entirely?

Cat Colvin is pretty much your typical run-of-the-mill teenager. Sure, she’s taller than most girls, has a mane of fiery red hair that’s impossible to tame, is left-handed, and her eyes are two different colors, but that’s where the differences end . . . unless you include the minor detail of her slow transformation into a Childe.

High school can definitely be challenging, and for Cat it’s no different. This is especially true when she’s faced with the daunting task of trying to hide her budding Childe traits as they begin to reveal themselves at the most inopportune times. To make matters worse, her family is oddly dead set against Ryan, the boy she grows to like. But everyone has their secrets: is Ryan really what he seems to be, and what is Cat’s family not telling her?

The Childe is the first book in this coming-of-age fantasy series which follows Cat's life through the twists and turns toward finding out whom and what she really is. Come and take the plunge with Cat into a world filled with mystery, biting humor, and the paranormal.

I never really heard the word "childe" bandied about until C.A. Kunz's debut novel, THE CHILDE, came out. I didn't realize it was a word outside of this novel until a fellow book blogger (I forget who you are now, I'm sorry!!) mentioned that the term had been used before. This just intrigued me all the more. What, exactly, IS a childe? That's the question on every reader's lips throughout this novel, but answers won't be uncovered until the main character, Cat, begins realizing her own destiny. The term is described toward the end of the book, creating a build-up of suspense, so I can't just reveal the definition here in a review. You will discover this when Cat does, and for now, that has to be good enough. ^.~

Mother/Son team Carol and Adam Kunz (C.A. Kunz, get it?) have co-authored a debut novel filled with an unusual paranormal story. Some elements are ones readers familiar with the genre may have seen before, while other concepts are brand-new and told in new ways. THE CHILDE is the first in a five-book series which has already been making its way through the Indie awards. The story follows a teenager named Cat Colvin on a journey to becoming a Childe. She has no clue that she has an unusual destiny and has been protected by the people around her since birth. Things are coming to a head in the town of Astoria as she approaches her birthday, becoming more dangerous each day. Cat begins having nightmares and developing strange tendencies such as hearing people's thoughts when she never has before. She's even developing heterochromia, her one eye now amber and no longer the blue it's been her entire life. Things are growing stranger all the time, and the first novel leaves off in a place where Cat has begun to realize life has more in store for her. The second book promises to be full of more answers as Cat learns the truth about what it means to be a Childe.

THE CHILDE is third person omniscient, and while focused primarily on Cat, there are times when the reader can peek in on the thoughts of the people around her. This is a bonus in building suspense, since Cat spends much of the novel oblivious to the fact that she's unique. It also gives readers answers and provides clues, creating a new puzzle to piece together that would be impossible if told singularly from Cat's point of view. At the same time, there were one or two POVs unnecessary for propelling the story along, such as that of resident popular girl Kirsten Fuller. I read an early version of this novel, which has since been with an editor and is about to be re-issued, complete with an award seal on the cover. The version I read did have several editing/grammatical issues that have since been fixed, and it was hard to discern when some scenes ended and other began. More scene breaks have been added to account for jumps in time, so newer versions of this book or e-book will provide a cleaner read. If reading the original version, as I did, if you can overlook these inconsistencies and focus on the story as a whole, you will be presented with an intriguing new idea about to be expanded upon in book two.

Check back soon for an upcoming feature with the authors as well as a fun giveaway! (I was going to post the giveaway tonight, but I don't have time!!)

COVER DESIGN:

What I like best about this series is the fact that it was a family effort. That book was written by Carol and Adam Kunz, and the interior design was put together by Robert and Stephanie Kunz. The cover was designed by Lisa Surphlis, who, , who, while not related, works with Adam in the Art and Design department at Universal Studios Florida.

I really like the script used for the author/title. I especially like the way the shape of the title reminds me a bit of a moon in the way the C and D curve with "the" on top. I love the full, shining moon on the cover (I've always been a sucker for the moon) and the way Cat is standing with her back to the readers. Her red hair stands out as it billows in the wind. She's in shadows, and the effect is intriguing.







[This entry is part of The Story Siren's Debut Author Challenge of 2011. See how I've done so far here.]

Comments

  1. This sounds mysterious and exciting to me. I appreciate your review, I'm really intrigued about discovering the definition of a Childe. I had no idea this one was self published.

    I just checked out Amazon.com and this one's only .99 what a steal. I think I'm going to hop over and download it right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a good book. I have been seeing it everywhere and I have been curious about. I don't think I have ever seen childe used in another book, so it would be a discovery for me with the character.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely sounds interesting. Off to check out the meaning of childe right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. interesting, i would like to discover more about it ^^

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book sounds so interesting & exciting, I'll be so happy if I win!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for this review. I really like the cover art as well. There is always something about red hair.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow. I'm intrigued to find out what the Childe means.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Heterochromia? Never knew there was a term for it! I've wondered about the spelling of "Childe" ever since I first came across the title. This sound interesting, especially since it's written by a mother-son team. Great review!

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to stop and comment! I appreciate it more than I can say. I try to respond to each one!