{Interview} Cheri Schmidt, Author of FAIR MAIDEN

Click here to go back to the Fairy Tale Fortnight Main Page, 
where you can access the schedule!
Here's what's going on at A Backwards Story!
 Or go here to get involved!


Check out today's review of FAIR MAIDEN!

FAIR MAIDEN is available on nook and Kindle for $2.99.  
What a great deal!

Want to WIN a copy of FAIR MAIDEN?  
Cheri Schmidt is GIVING AWAY a copy on her blog
for the Fairy Tale Giveaway Hop!
ENTER TO WIN NOW!
~*~

Cheri Schmidt has always had an interest in fairies, mermaids, vampires, witches, and, in truth, just about any type of fantasy or myth. She started out in elementary school drawing mermaids, fairies, and witches, and has since sold paintings of them on eBay. As computer technology advanced, she began digitally enhancing photographs into those magical creatures as well. 

When stories of these beings continued to entertain her thoughts, to the point of almost haunting her, she decided it was time to start writing them down. FATEFUL was her first finished work, though other stories had come to her before that. She has seven other books in the plans, including: some on vampires, some on fairies, and all of them with a romantic twist. 

Cheri has also written three books in the Fateful series and a companion entitled SOPHIA'S COOKBOOK FOR MORTALS.

Follow Cheri on her blog, Twitter, and Facebook.
An interview with 
author Cheri Schmidt

How did you come up with the concept for FAIR MAIDEN, which features elements that are paranormal, fantasy, and historical all mashed up?

I'd recently read a book that had a ghost theme and really liked it. Then as I was thinking about Sleeping Beauty, I started to wonder how I could blend the two. I also wanted to resolve the "ghost" problem with magic instead of time travel.

You mix genres in your other novels as well, such as FATEFUL, which features Shrek-like curses, vampires and Jane Austen. What can readers expect from future books?

I have never thought of the curse in FATEFUL as being Shrek-like! How funny! But I guess it's true even though it wasn't intentional. Many don't know this, but FATEFUL inspired by The Frog Prince. I suppose I'm just trying to think outside the box, and it seems I can't resist blending all of the things I love, like Jane Austen, fairy tales, and vampires, so who knows what I'll come up with next. I also can't resist putting fairies and magic in my stories, so readers can definitely expect more of that. And, of course, lots of romance...After I've finished with The Fair Maiden series, which will be a total of three books, I'll start working on what I think happens to Peter Pan when he does grow up, and then probably something with a Robin Hood twist.

I think it's fun that your books are original ideas, yet have a twist of fairy tale lore that can be spotted if you know how to look. What made you decide to include this element when writing?

Thank you! I just love fairy tale retellings. To me they're sort of classic. Cinderella, for example, has been retold over and over again in stories and movies like Pretty Woman. It's just sort of a good formula for a story: poor girl, abused by family, finds the rich Prince Charming... But I also wanted my stories to be very different, to the point that the connection is practically unrecognizable. Speaking of Cinderella, I do have a Cinderella-ish story planned that will be Steampunk! It will be a while before that one comes out, though. I just have so many to write; my head is a crowded place.

Someone gives you a key ring and says you can open any door you want, save one. Then they leave you alone with all those keys and doors. What do you do?

First I dig around inside my pack for my gold-embellished, x-ray-vision goggles. Once I've donned them, I check to see what is on the other side of each door. Once I've found the one hiding the magical world I'd like to visit, I then test the keys out in the lock. But I make sure I've got my trusty pixie-dust, ray-gun handy, just in case there are unsavory characters laying in wait beyond the door.


You have a fairy godmother who is granting you one perfect day: what does that entail?

I think I'd like to be transported to England inside the story of FAIR MAIDEN so I can meet Tessa and Christian. Attending a Victorian Ball while there would be nice, too.

Most overrated fairy tale?

The Little Mermaid. I couldn't figure out why she wasn't happy being a mermaid, and why there weren't any nice mermen to keep her in the ocean.


QUICKFIRE FUN STUFF:
This or That?


Tower or Dungeon?

Tower.

 Castle or Cottage?

Castle.


Talking Birds or Talking Mice?

Talking Mice.
Would You Rather...
Ride in a pumpkin carriage (sticky) or climb a hair-rope (tiring) to get where you're going?

I'd rather ride in a sticky pumpkin carriage.

Be able to spin straw into gold or have precious gems drop from your lips when you speak?

I'd rather be able to spin straw into gold.

Face 3 Billy Goats Gruff or 3 Bears from Goldilocks?

I'll face the 3 bears from Goldilocks, I think.


Thank you so much, Cheri! 
I'm looking forward to returning to the world of FAIR MAIDEN, 
as well as seeing future books from you!
  ~*~
O F F I C I A L   I N F O:


Title:  FAIR MAIDEN
Author: Cheri Schmidt
Release Date: May 2, 2011
Publisher: Cheri Schmidt
Received: For Review
SUMMARY:

It's the Victorian era in England, but Tessa is from the medieval past. She awakens within a castle she has never seen before. Knowledge of her name also evades her. However, even worse than not knowing who or where she is, she cannot recall how she died or why she is dressed as a bride. 

Along with Christian, the earl of the castle she haunts, Tessa tries to discover who she is and break the spell holding her in a prison of death. They never imagined the curse keeping them apart is the only thing protecting her, until it's too late.

Comments

  1. I hear terms like "time travel," "Austen," and "fairy tales" and I click buy. True story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although, yes, I realize it's not really time travel...but you know, kinda, sorta...the point is...I bought it ;)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to stop and comment! I appreciate it more than I can say. I try to respond to each one!