{Mad About Nails} THOR Movie Nails and Baby Shower Gradient Nails!

I've had quite a few people comment on my nails in the past ask what I was using or wish I'd done a close-up so they could see better, etc., etc., and had a realization: Why not do a feature on nail polish? It's not book-related (Unless you're wearing the new HUNGER GAMES-inspired line from China Glaze, but I'm not even going into how wrong that is...), but it's fun. Plus, if I do this feature, I'll be more likely to re-paint my nails this week and less likely to let them chip their way to the bare bones (which would mean that I could see my nails...and if I see them, I want to bite them!).

Welcome back to another edition of Mad About Nails! 

This week, I painted my nails twice, so you get two looks!


First up!


Last Sunday was my sister's baby shower. Soon, I'll have a niece! ❤❤❤

To celebrate, I made a pink (and purple) gradient to sport at the shower.

Earlier this year, I did Baby Shower Nail Art for a different shower, and I didn't want to repeat myself! My sister loves pink, so I decided a sparkly, festive glitter bomb was in order!

Here's a video of the materials used
(Or keep reading below!):




These two are POWERHOUSES for
long-lasting manicures!  One lasted
1.5 weeks, the other for 2!!!
I started off with a basecoat of ORLY "Bonder."  Many of the professional nail studios use this as a basecoat when doing nails for their clients.  It's a rubberized coat that helps polish adhere to the nail.  It stinks, but it's great!

I finished everything with a top coat of Revlon's "Quick Dry Top Coat."  I'd heard it was a rival for the legendary Seche Vite, but with fewer harsh chemicals.  It also doesn't go bad in the bottle or shrink when used.  I was intrigued, and so far, this stuff is
          FABULOUS.

Together, this combo has made my nails last, on average, 1.5 to 2 weeks. They're both awesome!



THE DESIGN:

I started out with ULTA's "Pink Leather" as my base. It's a mini polish from one of those free/cheap sets they give out when you spend X-Amount of money on X-Product. It's from sometime in the last few years. I'm not really sure... I'm also not sure whether they ever sold this polish, or if it was exclusive to the kit. Sorry! "Pink Leather" is an almost-magenta pink that has subtle silver shimmer to it.

Next, I decided to add some sparkle. I grabbed my bottle of Nicole by OPI "Inner Sparkle from the 2013 Selena Gomez Collection. It's a sheer purple, silver, pink glitter mixture. The pink and purple all but disappeared against the darker pink base, though.

Here's a picture of what it looked like before I messed with it:
(Sorry the photo isn't better...I was sending a friend a picture of me buying SENTINEL by Jennifer Armentrout... ^^; I'm lucky I have anything at all!)



It had a nice, quiet elegance to it. I sort of wish now that I stayed with that.

Instead, I decided I wanted to SEE the purple and pink glitter. I saw blog posts online stating that people were finding and buying glitters from the Sally Hansen Wonderlust Holiday 2013 Collection. I fell in love with "Fa-La-La-Lavender." Luckily, a local CVS had the collection in stock the day before the shower (literally, ack!) and it became mine! I immediately added a coat overtop of my nails to enhance them. The purple looked almost blue against the dark pink base, though, so in the end, I still wasn't crazy happy! They still looked NICE. But it's my sister's shower...so they should look better than nice, you know?

Next Up!


On Thursday, I went out to dinner with friends, then the first official screening of Thor: The Dark World at my local theater! (At 8 pm, no less! AMC, keep having pre-midnight screenings. YOU ROCK!)

I wanted to celebrate the occasion with a fun design. I thought about doing superhero nail art like I did when Man of Steel came out earlier this year. But I was painting that day and also wanted to do other stuff, not sit around with wet hands. I was getting ready to re-watch the first movie and looked at the cover of my blu-ray. I was inspired by the red of Thor's cape and the silver of his armor and hammer! Immediately, I knew what to do:




These two are POWERHOUSES for
long-lasting manicures!  One lasted
1.5 weeks, the other for 2!!!
I started off with a basecoat of ORLY "Bonder."  Many of the professional nail studios use this as a basecoat when doing nails for their clients.  It's a rubberized coat that helps polish adhere to the nail.  It stinks, but it's great!

I finished everything with a top coat of Revlon's "Quick Dry Top Coat."  I'd heard it was a rival for the legendary Seche Vite, but with fewer harsh chemicals.  It also doesn't go bad in the bottle or shrink when used.  I was intrigued, and so far, this stuff is
          FABULOUS.

Together, this combo has made my nails last, on average, 1.5 to 2 weeks. They're both awesome!



THE DESIGN:

To honor the red of Thor's cape, I started out with a base of ESSIE "Toggle to the Top" from the Winter 2013 Shearling Darling Collection. It's a beautiful red and black glitter combo. It goes on opaque in 2~3 coats depending on how much leveling you need. This had a sort of matte texture to it, and was rough to the touch before a top coat was later added. The top coat also really brings out the shine in the polish!

The French Tips are done using OPI "Metallic 4 Life" from the late 2011/early 2012 Nicki Minaj Collection. It's not a sheer glitter, but one with a black base. The glitter is various sizes of silver! I added this on top, thinking that the polish reminded me of space rocks or some other substance not known to Earth.

I'm really glad I went with glittery colors that had so much black tone to them. They really looked spacey and fit the mood of the movie!

This design is also great for the holidays!

It has a quiet elegance to it, don't you think?

I'll definitely be breaking out "Toggle to the Top" again this holiday season...and who knows, maybe I'll bring back "Metallic 4 Life," too!

If you do a Thor-inspired look, shoot me a link or tweet me a pic! I want to see what everyone else is doing to celebrate the movie!!


 Is anyone else obsessed with nail polish? What are you wearing right now?

Comments