Top Ten Covers I Wish I Could Re-Design

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created by The Broke and the Bookish.
Every once in a while I participate in this one when I either
1) Like the theme, and/or 2) Have the time!
This week's topic:
Top Ten Covers I Wish I Could Re-Design

I had actually planned to post a review today, but you know how much I adore talking about cover design, so...

Which covers do *I* wish I could re-design because they bother me?

In no particular order...

1) KILL ME SOFTLY by Sarah Cross

I was actually just complaining about this book's cover this past weekend when recommending it to someone. I held off buying it right away because I hated the cover. But the paperback never changed! My hope is that if Sarah Cross writes future books, there will be a cover facelift. I can wait a little longer, right? I love this book SO much, but ohhhh, that cover! I never would have even READ this book if I saw it on the shelf. I heard a recommendation from someone else that it was an amazing fairy tale retelling...which I never would have SUSPECTED based on that cover. 
My Review
 

2) The Elemental Series by Brigid Kemmerer


This series is SO good. I know so many people who won't read it becausze of the cheesy covers, though. And what's with the fourth book in the series, SECRET, suddenly having a drastically different look from the other books? ...And not for the better, either. I would love to see a great design on this series because the books are FAB!
(I was originally going to review these during an event that...never happened. Neither did this. Oops? ^^;)


3) ANNA AND THE FRENCH KISS by Stephanie Perkins


Another book that I ADORE with a cringe-worthy cover. The paperback cover is better, but now it has no personality. But the first cover? Who could take it seriously? So many people have missed out on a great book! Her other books suffer from this, too. *weeps* But ANNA is my favorite to date, so it especially aggravates me!
My Reviews Of: ANNA AND THE FRENCH KISS, LOLA AND THE BOY NEXT DOOR
 

4) The Re-Design on Jackson Pearce's Fairytale Retellings Series


Truth? These are NOT bad covers. I actually quite like them. But I WANTED covers as epic as the originals:


Those were truly stunning and innovative. I wish the publisher would hire the original designer to create dust jackets that could be sold for those who wanted them, or for a limited edition re-release. Shannon Hale's publisher did it with FOREST BORN. Why can't this happen again? ;_;
My Reviews Of: SISTERS RED, SWEETLY, FATHOMLESS



5) HEART'S BLOOD by Juliet Marillier


Okay, I get that most adult fantasy novels have bad covers. Does it mean we have to accept that? Times are changing, and powerful books need powerful covers. Can you tell anything about this book based on the cover? Would you ever imagine that it's a great (my personal favorite) retelling of Beauty and the Beast? Marillier has many other books suffering from Bad Cover Syndrome, but again, it's her genre, not her.
My Review


6) LETTERS TO NOWHERE by Julie Cross


I wish this had a sporty cover. I love the gymnastics aspect to this book, and wish we could see more of that. The colors are very flat and the book doesn't stand out as being anything special, which is a shame, because I really enjoyed this one! 
My Review


7) The Delirium Trilogy by Lauren Oliver


This series could look so epic. This is a dystopian series, so why couldn't they have gone with something iconic a la THE HUNGER GAMES, DIVERGENT, LEGEND, etc?
They DID try at first. The hardcover was pretty unusual, but didn't sell as well as they wanted:


And, at least, it was better than the ARC with the initial design:


But none of these make my blood pulse and think ACTION! What about you?
My Reviews Of: DELIRIUM, PANDEMONIUM


8) The Chemical Garden Trilogy by Lauren DeStefano


I really loved the cover for the first book, WITHER. It was BEYOND gorgeous. FEVER, not as much, though I could understand its sickly state due to the feverish state the main character spends much of the novel in. SEVER, on the other hand? Couldn't they have tried a little harder? It looks completely green-screened, and I can't get over that. I WILL give the series credit for amazing interior design, which you can see in my below review of WITHER! I wish the second and third books lived up to the amazingness of the first!
My Reviews Of: WITHER, FEVER
 

9) The Newsoul Trilogy by Jodi Meadows

Wow, series are really taking a beating from me today, aren't they? I don't hate these covers. In their own way, they're striking. At the same time, they could be so much more. I adore, ADORE Jodi Meadows. I want everyone else in the world to adore the things I do, of course, and that starts by having a cover so amazing, you can't help but stand up and take notice. I want this series to push boundaries and showcase the fact that it's a powerful fantasy with all kinds of creatures (Such as dragons!) that you can't figure out looking at these pretty-girl-face-covers. Is that so wrong?
My Reviews Of: INCARNATE, ASUNDER


10) THE NIGHT ITSELF by Zoë Marriott

Another author I adore. I always import Zoë's books from the UK via The Book Depository because I can't wait for Candlewick Press to release her books a year later in the USA. This time, I'm waiting, even though I want to read this book more than ANY OTHER BOOK Zoë has written to date. Because I'm sure this trilogy will be EPIC, and to me, that cover is NOT epic. I want an epic cover, Candlewick!!! I'm waiting for you; please let it be worth it!
My Reviews Of: THE SWAN KINGDOM, DAUGHTER OF THE FLAMES, FROSTFIRE, SHADOWS ON THE MOON





What books sport YOUR least-favorite covers?
Do you disagree with any of my choices! Let's discuss! ^_^

Comments

  1. I agree the re-designs of the Fairy tale series is nowhere near as EPIC as the originals. I kind of wish they had all looked like that.

    Here's My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE the Elemental Series!!! Didn't see the next book came out I'm so excited now. I also almost didn't read these because of the cheese factor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read the Jodi Meadows series, mostly because I couldn't get over the weird covers. Same with the Elemental series. I guess I need to stop judging, right? I love the Sisters Red, etc cover so much. Here are my picks http://wp.me/pzUn5-1JE
    ~Megan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some great picks! I am really glad that the covers for the Delirium series here aren't the ones with the up close faces on, yuck! I like my books to have nice covers. My TTT.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to stop and comment! I appreciate it more than I can say. I try to respond to each one!