{Waiting on Wednesday} RITES OF PASSAGE by Joy N. Hensley

Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly event hosted by Jill at Breaking The Spine
This event highlights our most-wanted upcoming releases!



RITES OF PASSAGE releases on September 9th, 2014.
It is Joy N. Hensley's debut novel!



Title: RITES OF PASSAGE
Author: Joy N. Hensley
Release Date: Sept. 9, 2014
Publisher: HarperTeen
 

WHY?

I'd never heard of this book before yesterday. The lovely Jodi Meadows mentioned it to me in such a way that I was immediately intrigued. She basically said it was about "the first girl in a formerly all-boys' military school." Um, that's all I actually needed to know about this book. Confession time? Tamora Pierce has absolutely done a number on the types of novels I enjoy reading. This reminds me of her amazing Protector of the Small series. I'm suddenly very excited to read this book...and it's all Jodi's fault.

It's also Katie McGarry's fault. Why? Because Katie McGarry BLURBED this book.

Okay, hi, RITES OF PASSAGE. My name is Bonnie, and I'm ready to meet you now!

SUMMARY: 

"I fell hard for this book. Rites of Passage is a powerful YA debut!" 
~ Katie McGarry, "Pushing the Limits"

Hensley navigates the bonds of family, patriarchal military traditions, and the meaning of courage in a story that will keep you on the edge of your seat. Throw in just the right amount of swoon and RITES OF PASSAGE is impossible to put down." 
~Trish Doller, author of "Something Like Normal" and "Where the Stars Still Shine"

Sam McKenna’s never turned down a dare. And she's not going to start with the last one her brother gave her before he died.

So Sam joins the first-ever class of girls at the prestigious Denmark Military Academy. She’s expecting push-ups and long runs, rope climbing and mud-crawling. As a military brat, she can handle an obstacle course just as well as the boys. She's even expecting the hostility she gets from some of the cadets who don’t think girls belong there. What’s she’s not expecting is her fiery attraction to her drill sergeant. But dating is strictly forbidden and Sam won't risk her future, or the dare, on something so petty...no matter how much she wants him.

As Sam struggles to prove herself, she discovers that some of the boys don’t just want her gone—they will stop at nothing to drive her out. When their petty threats turn to brutal hazing, bleeding into every corner of her life, she realizes they are not acting alone. A decades-old secret society is alive and active… and determined to force her out.

At any cost.

Now time's running short. Sam must decide who she can trust...and choosing the wrong person could have deadly consequences.

What are you anxiously waiting for this Wednesday?

Comments

  1. I'm very interested in the whole 'first girl in a formerly all-boys military school' aspect. And the cover is awesome! Great pick, Bonnie!

    Stop by my WoW

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book sounds really interesting! I'm keen to read it as well.

    A nice WoW, Sharon - Obsession with Books

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm excited to read this book. I picked it up from EW because of all the raving reviews from authors. It's going to be an exciting and intense book. :)
    Great pick!

    Nick - My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice choice! I'm really excited to read this one, too. I basically had the same reaction as you... "first girl in an all-boys military school? DONE." It sounds so good and a blogger I know who has read it already absolutely loved it! Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to read this one either. It sounds amazing.
    www.theyaclub.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been seeing this one around quite a lot so it must be pretty good. Great pick!
    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to stop and comment! I appreciate it more than I can say. I try to respond to each one!