Top Ten Ten New-To-Me Authors I Read For The First Time in 2015

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created by The Broke and the Bookish.
Every once in a while I participate in this one when I either
1) Like the theme, and/or 2) Have the time!

This week's topic:
Top Ten Ten New-To-Me Authors I Read For The First Time in 2015!!!


This year, it seems I read a lot of authors I've read before. Or else, I'm wavering on whether or not to read a new-to-me author again in the future after taking a chance that didn't pan out.

I still have to read a few of the "best" books of the year (Renee Andieh, I'm looking at you!! I know THE WRATH AND THE DAWN will be on everyone's list and I'm saving you to be my last book of the year because I'm afraid of the hangover you'll give me.....)

After browsing through my list, the following books are the ones I enjoyed most from new authors this past year!



In Order of When I Read Them...


1) ALL THE LIGHT WE CANNOT SEE by Anthony Doerr


This book is unique because I began it at the end of 2014 and I finished it at the beginning of 2015, so it counts for both years. It was on my 2014 Best of the Year List, and it will make my 2015 List, too. It's won many awards, including the Pulitzer. It's not my normal type of book AT ALL, but I REALLY enjoyed it!!! This is one book that deserves its hype. Annnd it's so good that it took the author ten years to write it! I would read more from him!!

My Review


2) THE STORYSPINNER by Becky Wallace


I wanted this book before I ever knew more than two lines about it. I follow the author's agent, Jennifer Laughran, on social media, and she tweeted this book's deal. I wanted it IMMEDIATELY. Then, I started following Becky Wallace, too, and she's SO nice and sweet!! I'm really excited to read THE SKYLIGHTER! I never got around to reviewing this one because I'd wanted to launch it with a secondary post that never happened, so look for reviews on both in 2016 when I re-read/first read the series.

Becky's guest post!


3) GATHERING FROST by Kaitlyn Davis


I've wanted to read books from Kaitlyn Davis in the past, but never got around to it. When I heard she had a new series featuring stand-alone fairy tales, I REALLY wanted to add time for her. I'm really glad I did, too. I enjoyed her first novel, which was an original fantasy with hints of fairy tale, and I'm looking forward to her 2016 novel WITHERING ROSE, based on one of my all-time favorites, Beauty and the Beast! 

My Review
Guest Post with Kaitlyn



4) VALIANT by Sarah McGuire



Another book that I waited for a LONG time. Sarah took part in a site event and won a prize, and  she mentioned working with Egmont. I asked questions and found out it was a fairy tale. I was immediately hooked!!! I've kept tabs on Sarah ever since then, and she is SO nice and I love seeing her on social media. I'm only sad Egmont folded before her book published and there wasn't a promotional team to give VALIANT the best chance when it came out!

(How am I missing a review of this!? I remember doing it!!)
My interview with Sarah

 

6) THIS IS WHERE IT ENDS by Marieke Nijkamp
-Out January 5, 2016


I already read this and it is STUNNING. This book will shake you and rip you apart and then crookedly sew you back together again. The whole book takes place in less than an hour, but that hour is soaked in blood and won't be forgotten anytime soon. AND Marieke Nijkamp is SUPER nice. I was lucky enough to run into her at BEA and to see her at the Teen Author Carnival back in May, and I follow her on Twitter.

My Spotlight Preview


7) TRUTHWITCH by Susan Dennard
-Out January 5, 2016


Another one I read super early. I met Susan at an event a few years ago, but wasn't interested in the series she was writing at the time because #zombies. But throw in a series that reads like a mash-up of Avatar: The Last Air Bender,  X-Men, and Final Fantasy, and I'm all over it! The series is great,  too, which makes me happy because I LOVE Susan!!! 

My Spotlight Preview



8) AN EMBER IN THE ASHES by Sabaa Tahir



I'd heard really great things about this series, and was really excited to read it. Then THAT COVER came out. It's even more gorgeous in person---I had to vlog about it! I really enjoyed the book and am really excited to read the sequel last year. I voted for this in the Goodreads Awards for Debut Author! 

My Review+Cover Design Vlog




8) NEVER ALWAYS SOMETIMES by Adi Alsaid


I never read LET'S GET LOST and I wasn't super interested in it. NEVER ALWAYS SOMETIMES wasn't really on my radar until the Buzz Kit came out before BEA. Then, I was really eager to read it!! I got to meet Adi at a Harlequin Breakfast during BEA and wanted to read it even more, so I was really happy when they shared a copy with us. I also got to listen to Adi talk at the Teen Author Carnival! Now I want to read more from him!

My Review


9) A GIRL CALLED FEARLESS by Catherine Linka



I never had time to review this, and now I'm forgetting things, but I really liked this duology and the way it made me think and ponder and reflect. I had a hard time putting it down; all I wanted to do was keep reading! This book deserves a lot more attention than it's gotten!



10) CAGE OF DECEIT by Jennifer Anne Davis



I heard about this one thanks to Damaris from Good Choice Reading and Jaime Arnold from Two Chicks on Books. I had the first book in the first trilogy, THE KEY, downloaded, but still haven't had time to read it. The spin-off series is really good, though, so I'm eager to make up for lost time in 2016!!

My Review



    
Who were the best new authors you discovered this year!?


Comments